I participated in an Influencer Activation Program on behalf of Influence Central for Dove Advanced Care Deodorant. I received a promotional item to facilitate my review. Please see my Disclosure Policy for more information.
Last month, I told you that I’d be participating in Dove’s Sleeveless Summer Challenge. The challenge was to a) ditch my sleeves, and b) ditch my old deodorant. Would Dove Advanced Care Deodorant measure up to the deodorant that I’d been using for about 25 years? I agreed to give it a try and to ask a friend to try it out as well.
I Smell Like Teen Spirit
To be fair, going sleeveless wasn’t much of a challenge. I run, I’m a stay at home mom, and I live in Florida – tank tops and sundresses are a wardrobe staple for about 2/3 of the year. For me, the real challenge was trying a new deodorant.
Let’s be honest. I’m old enough to know what Teen Spirit really smells like. In case you were born after 1980 or so – YES, there was an actual deodorant called Teen Spirit, and it was around before Kurt Cobain sang about it.
(Before we proceed, let’s take a brief time out to pay tribute to the late Kurt Cobain. Quick! Everyone into the
playroom mosh pit! I’ll wait.)
Anyway. Teen Spirit was my first deodorant. Then in my mid-teens, I switched to the brand that my mom used, and I never needed to find another brand. Over the years, I’ve experimented with roll-on and spray deodorants. I’ve occasionally used other brands when I needed a travel size deodorant or when I ran out of my regular stuff. I even use my husband’s deodorant from time to time when I forget to bring my own to the gym. I’m not a particularly sweaty or smelly girl, but nothing ever, EVER seems to keep me dry like my regular product.
So how did I feel about trying a new deodorant? Open-minded with a healthy dose of skepticism.
A little refresher: Dove Advanced Care Deodorant with NutriumMoisture is formulated to keep you dry and odor-free for 48 hours. It’s also clinically proven to reduce irritation from shaving and to give you softer, smoother skin in just 3 days. So I tried Dove Advanced Care for 3 days, during 3 different activities. I received 3 different scents for me and my friend to sample – Revive, Sheer Touch, and Nourished Beauty. (Warning: selfie-fest ahead.)
Day One – Yoga
Dove Advanced Care kept me nice and dry during fitness yoga. Not a hint of moisture or stinkiness.
Day Two – 2.5 Mile Run (in August)
I was pretty sweaty and stinky after my run. But in all fairness, I’m not sure if there’s a deodorant on earth, including my regular deodorant, that could keep a runner’s armpits dry during an August-in-Florida-Outdoor-Run.
Day Three – Water Park
We were at the water park for about 7 hours, and I felt dry and fresh all day. Florida. In August. Because it bears repeating.
I’m pretty sensitive to smell, so I do want to mention here that the deodorants that I sampled were a bit too perfumy for my taste, especially the Revive. But overall? My skin felt really smooth, and Dove Advanced Care kept me just as dry as my regular deodorant in various hotter-than-normal situations. I was pleasantly surprised.
I also shared Dove Advanced Care Deodorant with my friend, Kristie. She liked it and thought it had a clean, fresh smell. And here she is, looking confident, beautiful, and sleeveless:
Sleeveless Styling Tips & Tricks
Since we’re talking about going sleeveless here, I thought I’d share a few summer fashion tips and tricks from Hollywood stylist Erin Walsh:
- Trapeze cut shirts and dresses look great on every body type and are great for the summer season. Pair your top with a little heel and a cropped pant that accentuates the smallest part of your ankle.
- Dual-purpose items are perfect for the summertime. Try a boxy sleeveless shirt that hits around the hip bone. Pair it with a cute pair of cropped jeans or throw it over a bathing suit.
- Sleeveless shirt dresses and halter tops look great on everyone and can be dressed up or dressed down!
- If you are petite, try a sleeveless top that highlights the collarbone. A woman with broader shoulders is better off choosing a strapless cut.
- It’s definitely better to wear loose clothing in the summer. Fabrics like silk, cotton, and linen are key for this season.
- Experiment with wearing your hair up when you are going sleeveless. Show off your shoulders and arms!
- There aren’t strict dos and don’ts when it comes to going sleeveless. You can’t dictate style to someone. It’s really more about how the person wears an item. Every fabric hangs differently, and every silhouette fits differently. The most important thing is choosing a style that projects confidence in your body stature and posture.
Do you have any sleeveless styling tips to add? I’d love to hear them!
And please…tell me I’m not the only one out there who wore Teen Spirit…anyone??